2021-04-14: Better Graphs, Dataview Tricks, & iOS+git Backups
- The new & (mostly) improved version of the Neo4j Graph View plugin by Emile van Krieken made it through code review and is now in the community plugins list as Juggl. You no longer have to install Python or Neo4j, it works on mobile, you can save your graph view, it can be embedded directly into your notes with a code fence, and it lets you control the styling (or not, if you'd rather keep it simple) with a style pane, YAML, and CSS.
- Dataview, Templater & Outliner are getting a lot of discussion. This video from Bryan Jenks does a good job of giving an overview. For example, the Dataview plugin can be leveraged to create a list of inbound or outbound links inside a note. This is a frequently requested thing, and seems more powerful at first glance than using the "Backlinks in Document" hack.
- Dual is an open source virtual assistant plugin that leverages GPT-2 to let you talk to your notes. It's currently in the very alpha stages and takes about an hour and some know-how to get set up, but if you want to go be an early adopter and help the developer improve it,
@paubrichas a lot of enthusiasm and a Discord server set up.
@mgmeyerscreated a new CSS snippet for the Style Settings plugin that lets you tweak every CSS variable of the default Obsidian theme.
- Media Extended now supports embed YouTube and Vimeo video fragment with time stamps.
- Hotkey Helper 0.2.0 now supports configuring core plugins as well as community plugins.
@rsteelegot Working Copy to work with git-based syncing for iOS.
CSS Tips & Tricks
- Use HTML classes to highlight things in different colors via
- Icons in the start of folder & note names is a popular request. There are a couple of ways to achieve the effect.
@liamshared CSS for getting pagebreaks in .pdf exports.
- Let us see a note count for how many search results we have. (originally from June '20 – 8 💜 at last check)
- Tables that are sortable in preview has been requested.
@liamspent some time discussing the particulars, and now
@alex.dinuis looking into markdown post-processing. Reach out if you have any insight – I imagine this would be useful for a lot of people!
- Focal Board, billed as an 'offline, open-source Notion'
Note: There are a couple of affiliate links & codes scattered around, but these always come from links I was already recommending and usually I share them because they benefit you too (i.e. getting you extra time on trials).
Check out one of these related posts
🌠 New Branding, LLM vs PKM, & improved keyboard control
Buttons needs a new maintainer, there's a new TTRPG community vault, & Tasks continues with fast-paced updates.
🌠 Recipe importing & Linting improvements
New themes, productivity Shortcuts for mac, and systems for pairing digital & analogue.
🌠 Conference Videos, Dendron support, & Improved Reference Counting
Showcasing teachers, authors, medical students, people impacted by LLMs, gardeners, and mathematicians.