🌠 Publish updates & highlights syncing
Canvas updates, zen mode, improved podcast handling, & the ability to mass delete tags.
On February 23rd 2023, the design of Publish sites will be updated to the same standard as Obsidian 1.0. Here's the theming guide.
- Canvas: content from text cards will now appear as results in global searches.
- Canvas: Added support for resizing multiple cards at once.
- Canvas: Added “Readonly” mode for canvases. While in read-only mode, a canvas and its contents cannot be modified.
- Canvas: Groups can now have a background image.
- Canvas: Added support for YouTube timestamped links.
- Canvas: Added “convert to file” command to the command palette.
- Canvas: Added new setting to specify the default canvas file location.
- Canvas: Cards can be resized regardless of zoom level.
- Canvas: recent files and recent attachments are now kept track of separately, so the attachments modal should be filled with more useful options.
- The vim Codemirror extension has been updated to include all the latest upstream fixes and patches.
Mobile Insider v1.4.2-93 brings mobile up to date with Obsidian Desktop 1.1.14.
New in Community Plugins
These plugins went through code review and are now available in Obsidian's plugin list. For the full list, check out the plugin stats page.
- Double Colon Conceal by
@msrchwill display double colon (i.e. Dataview inline fields) as a single colon in reading view (preview mode) for more natural experience.
- Canvas Filter by
@IKoshelevlets you filter Canvas to only show items of specific color, tags or only connected to currently selected node.
- Grappling Hook by
@pseudometamakes keyboard-only file navigation much faster.
Pending (as of Friday morning)
Note: Not all new plugins are available in the community list yet, as they need to go through code review first. You can manually install plugins that aren't in the community list yet by using the Beta Reviewer's Auto-update Tool. Note, though, that this is not as safe as waiting for them to go through code review.
- Paper Reference Linker by
@AllocBlockwill create links between academic paper notes by finding references on the internet based on crossref's API.
- Zen by
@Maxymillionadds the option for focus mode.
- Simple Zoom by
@Maxymillionadds more zoom control
- Any Block by
@LincZeromakes it easier to turn lists into graphs and tables.
- External Links by
@giselle197shows all external links (URLs) in the current file
- WuCai highlights Official by
@makediffintegrates with WuCai highlights.
- HamsterBase Official by
@CaryTrivettis an integration with HamsterBase, which is another option for highlighting and annotating websites.
- Create Note in Folder by
@Lisandra-devadd commands to create a note in a specific folder.
- Classic Header Links by
@RS-Milanoallows users to write links to current document headings that consist of multiple words in classic dashes style.
- Apple Books Highlights by
@atfzlmakes it easier to sync your Apple Books highlights automatically.
- Awesome Brain Manager by
@JuckZadds a variety of small tools like a pomodoro tracker, improved attachments, task management, mouse and keystroke effects, switching between RTL and LTR, etc.
If you want a comprehensive list of what plugins updated this week, check out this plugin updates index by Ganessh Kumar.
- Make.md now includes tag management, including the ability to remove tags. There were also some sync improvements.
- PodNotes makes it easier to import and export saved podcasts to and from other apps, added a command for toggling playbacks, and several new formatting options.
- Obsidian List Modified 2.1 now supports Periodic Notes weekly and monthly notes, and got a large code refactor that should make contributions easier for those interested.
- Obsidian Front Matter Title 2.10.0 now supports canvas elements and inline markdown titles.
- The lucide icon library has been upgrade to v0.114.0; there are new icons available to be used.
- Red Solitude by
@MajorEnkiduis a customizable theme that clearly defines each visual element of the the interface.
- Polka by
@callumhackettis a fun theme featuring a spotted ribbon.
- Dekurai by
@sergey900553combines clean nice colors, minimalism and functionality.
- Shiba Inu 1.0.7 now has customized graph view colors, improved folder icons, and a series of bugfixes.
- Here's a detailed guide for how to use termux to sync with git on Android.
Food For Thought
- I enjoyed this discussion about folders vs. links for classification.
- The Raycast Obsidian extension now supports starred notes, creating notes from the search interface, appending to a daily note, and more.
- Drafting is a $4 plain text editor for Android that works well alongside Obsidian as a quick capture app.
Note: There are a couple of affiliate links & codes scattered around, but these always come from links I was already recommending and usually I share them because they benefit you too (i.e. getting you extra time on trials).
Check out one of these related posts
🌠 Recipe importing & Linting improvements
New themes, productivity Shortcuts for mac, and systems for pairing digital & analogue.
🌠 Conference Videos, Dendron support, & Improved Reference Counting
Showcasing teachers, authors, medical students, people impacted by LLMs, gardeners, and mathematicians.
🌠 PDF improvements & More AI Options
Check out some great guides on how to create folder and tag systems, and how to use the Strange New Worlds & bookmarks plugin!